How to Keep Your adidas Sneakers Clean
You know that feeling of unboxing a fresh pair of adidas sneakers and basking in the box-fresh smell? New sneakers can fill you with motivation to tackle your next goal or to hit the streets in your new kicks.
Keep your adidas sneakers clean with our guide to maintaining the fresh style of new sneakers and streetwear shoes.
Follow our recommended do's and don’ts below when washing your shoes.
- Brush off dirt: To remove the dirt from the soles of sneakers, knock the soles together and use a soft brush like an old toothbrush to take off the surface dust. Be careful not to brush or scuff the upper material.
- Mix soap and water: Add little eco-friendly laundry detergent to warm water and use a soft washcloth to gently dab any superficial stains on the upper shoes.
- Rinse: Wash the washcloth so there’s no laundry detergent left on it and with warm water, touch the cloth to the same stained areas to take off the detergent.
- Dry: Dry your shoes at room temperature.
- If you have leather sneakers like the Superstar originals, use shoe leather cleaner: if your sneakers have leather uppers, use a small amount of shoe leather to treat the leather and keep it in good condition. Don’t use leather shoe polish if your sneakers aren’t made out of leather.
- Laces: Laces can be easily washed with a little soap and warm water. If your laces have tears or rips in places, consider replacing them.
- Air the insole: Remove the insole from your sneakers and leave out to air. You can wash the insole with a soapy mix too, or if they really smell, sprinkle a little baking soda on the insoles when they’re dry. Baking soda helps remove the odour in shoes. Sprinkle on and leave overnight then dust off in the morning.
- Chuck your kicks in the washing machine: the heavy cycles and can discolour and damage your sneakers.
- Put your sneakers in the dryer: High heat from dryers or heaters can change the shape of sneakers. Don’t risk it.
- Use harsh chemicals: bleach or harsh cleaning products.
- Use a hard brush or scrub hard Bristles can damage the material or leather upper.
Read some more tips for keeping your kicks looking fresh and clean:
Storage: Keep your sneakers in great condition by storing them in their original box. If you have white shoes like the Stan Smith's, make sure you keep them indoors because after time the sun can turn white soles yellow.
Spot clean: If you stain your sneakers, try to remove the stain as soon as you can. Follow the steps above and be gentle with the materials. If you leave a stain for a long time, it’s more likely to be permanent
Show your sneakers some love by keeping them clean. Once you’ve washed them, pay them the biggest compliment by showing them off. If you’re after a new pair, shop for a fresh pair of sneakers.